Sunday, August 12, 2007

Middle Age?!



Now, when I say this, everyone jumps in and says "No, oh no, not till 40, 45, 50, 55" depending on how old they themselves are. But ever since I was a preteen I always have thought as 35 as the epitome of middle age, if not the zenith. I think it is related to the bible saying we should expect to live to 72. But then that would make it 36, wouldn't it, math friends. It's probably more likely I just read it in a book or something. Or maybe my mom was that age when I was putting it into my conscious mind.

Whatever the reason, I've looked forward to 35 for quite a while. I was hoping for 2 possible outcomes: a camping trip or a multi-dessert party with all my friends. But due to Tom's chronic fatigue of the previous month, my lack of planning, and my general laziness, (I KNOW Dad, I'm FINE, I'm not really lazy... etc!) we opted instead for a 3rd outcome, which turned out just great: Pancake breakfast at the Lambert's all morning, then errands with Tyra in the afternoon (including sharing a salad and chocolate dipped ice cream bar at Costco) Then there was Chevy's as a family. --Can I just say? That is the best restaurant to take 4 kids. Not only do they have the regular crayons and coloring menu, but you get balloons, a hunk of tortilla dough to play with, the tortilla making machine to look at, and chips and salsa to keep them happy till the food comes. Plus for only $4 the kids get fries and fresh fruit and ice cream along with the main thing they order. And finally, they put a hat on the head of the b-day person and sing, which is fun for the kids (if not so much for the Mom)-- And we came home and did our candles on the Costco Cheesecake that no one really ate because we were too full. I just love how we are our own party wherever we go, whatever we're doing now. Very much the way it felt as a kid with 6 siblings. And to end the day Tom and I put up our feet on our new reclining sofas and watched Freedom Writers.

So this first picture is of my present from Tyra. I just laughed. Maybe when we put Tyra in charge of camping it will happen! She made me a campground with a tent and fire :)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! It does sound like a fun day, even though it wasn't exactly what you first wanted. I think 36 does sound a lot like a camping birthday... And plus, what is "middle age", anyway? It sounds too much like "the middle ages" to me, so I think I'll just avoid the phrase altogether.

Karen E. said...

Happy Birthday! I think 35 is a great age. When you are 70 you will think back and say, gee, I wish I was 35 again!

Brian said...

I got tired just reading your entry. Then again, after moving all our stuff into the house this weekend, anything makes me tired. Like the thought of opening all the boxes. And finding places for the stuff they contain. So if we neglected to call, nostra culpa. I'd sing Willie's "You were always on [our] mind", but the truth is that the only thing on my mind was, "What's up with our affinity for heavy wood furniture?" Love, B

Angela Draper said...

Happy Birthday! What a busy birthday! Although you didn't do as orginally planned, it sounds like you had a wonderful day. And what a sweet girl Tyra is to make you a campsite :)

holly said...

Happy Birthday! (a week late...) Chevy's is our favorite too! I think we've gone there for Matt's and my birthdays for at least 2 years running... :) No babysitter required.

glad you had a fun day of it. Tyra's present is perfect!

Linda said...

Well, I remember turning 30 was a little sobering for me..... Remember, Grandma Draper says youth is birth to 50, and middle age 50 to 85!

Anonymous said...

Nice...now you have joined me for "the middle ages" as Lisa said! I love reading all of your bloggs. It makes me feel like we are not so far away!!