Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Poetic License

I wish to award my daughter the title of poet. She wrote the following poem while we were driving by the factories of Western Utah in the salt flats. If you want to read more of her poems, visit her blog at tzscience.blogspot.com.

Beautiful Earth

Fact'ries torment the Earth,
While clouding the Sun in the sky.
Burning long-dead animals
For their deathly fuels.
Humans claim to conquer the Earth,
While she tries bravely
To keep from collapsing,
Under the weight of
Human hands.
We rip up the mountains,
The oceans,
Our land, her land, God's land.

Now we are dying, yet still overwhelming
Our poor little Earth.
Trash in air,
Trash in water,
Trash in land, trash on land.
People feel guilty for
Deathly polluting
Our beautiful planet.
The only one with life,
The only one we know of,
Beautiful Earth.
Gasping for clean air,
Beautiful Earth.
Thirsty for clean water,
Beautiful Earth.
Can't find a clean place to sit,
Beautiful Earth.

© 2009 Tyra Draper

3 comments:

gramalee said...

Thanks! I like the charm of the handwritten but the type is very impressive! I'm off to Zannie's site! xo

LisAway said...

I guess this is the next best thing to actually entering it into a contest. She's still a winner!

Tyra really is a very talented poet. And an excellent niece. I'm so glad I could spend some time with her last week.

Angela Draper said...

Wow. That is one talented niece I have!