Sunday, October 07, 2007

Tyra, age 9


I can't believe my little girl is 9! Well, when she's practicing her flute and piano, doing her cellular biology homework, cooking up a pan of brownies without any help, reading big long books, and braiding her own hair, I guess it's easy enough to believe. But she is still my sweetest-ever little snuggling girl who loves to wear her silk pajamas from Aunt Angela and Uncle Rob so that I'll want to give her back scratches. And while she doesn't say "I'm going to be a woman soon" like she did when she was 3, she DOES like to remind me regularly that she is 3 years from Young Womens, 1 year from being a tween, and (especially) 9 years from going to college! Ever since we walked around campus this summer and visited GramaLee in the Library and Grandpa Tom in his office she has been looking forward to going to BYU as a student. (I definitely prefer that to Lily's desire to be a princess when she grows up. But even now I feel it fading in Lily as she starts to realize there's more to life...)
Besides reminding me how quickly she's growing up, she also reminds me of her 3 year-old self when she feels the Spirit. Though when she was three she would look beatific and say things like "I'm going to be a Nephite woman" and "Heavenly Father is bigger than our house" her prayers and responses to scripture stories were a wonderful testimony of the Holy Ghost touching those who have faith. Even still, turning 9 yesterday, Tyra reminded me of those days as we listened to conference together in the living room. The astute, perceptive notes she took may have been different, but the beatific look, and the loving feeling of being touched by the Spirit were just the same. She would keep coming up to me with hugs and eskimo kisses and snuggles. If you saw her when Lily and Beth were born then you know the look I mean.
I am so proud of my girl. She is a beautiful person, inside and out, and I feel so privileged to be her mother. I absolutely love watching the person she is becoming, yet has always been.

Oops, this was supposed to be a post about her birthday party and such. I better change the title and try the birthday info again...

3 comments:

Angela Draper said...

We have to agree - Tyra is amazing! She is a an amazing girl now and I know the woman she will grow into will be truly awe inspiring. Of course she will always have a special place in my heart since when asked about what she thought of her new aunt, she said "She's beautiful". Who can help but love a niece like that!

Anonymous said...

I can't see the screen through my tears, Su. Tyra is a lovely little lady. I remember crying in Sacrament watching Tyra sing on stage with the other Primary children. I can't really describe it, but I guess it's what you're talking about here with her spirituality. I believe her name is perfect for her. Will you post a comment on here telling us the exact meaning of her name? I'll come back or I'll just talk to you on the phone. (sorry, this isn't all really comment material!)

Corinne said...

What a great picture of her. She's such a neat girl - a lovely tribute