Sunday, December 02, 2007

Thoughts about Facebook

So I have joined the social networking phenomenon known as Facebook. Why did I choose Facebook? Because it is a Google derivative -- I mean, because most everyone I know signed up with Facebook instead of MySpace.

My Top Ten Favorite Things about Facebook:
10) I'm now a proud member of the "When I was your age, Pluto was a planet" group.
9) Making friends on Facebook is as easy as sending an email. It also appears that to get married you only need an email confirmation.
8) "Susan is listed as married to Thomas Draper". Phew!
7) I resumed contact with my old Brazilian friend Vitor from High School. I haven't heard from him for nearly twenty years.
6) Getting "poked" doesn't hurt at all online. In fact, I have no idea what it is for at all if you can't use it to raise the ire of your brothers.
5) I was able to "friend" the wonderful Pennington family, who showed me a wonderful time the Sunday I was in Brisbane, Australia earlier this year.
4) I like to "Flip my pillow over to get to the cold side" just like 398,683 other people.
3) My brother Michael was mocking me within ten minutes of signing up. To quote, he said, "Hey boy, what made you decide to join facebook?" Now I know why he never responds to my emails. He spends all his time scoping girls on Facebook.
2) Being "friends" with my mother-in-law is much easier in cyberspace.
1) My cousin Grace is already one of my friends. She has only been married a couple of months. So I was rolling on the floor in tears when I received a "friend update" that said, 'Grace Gordon Hart removed "my husband" from their interests.' Welcome to married life!

Feel free to friend me if you are short on over-aged, married, working males with four children. I seem to be a rare commodity on Facebook.

6 comments:

LisAway said...

Isn't it great? You gotta add more applications to get the full effect! Aren't you sooooo curious about which Lost or Simpsons character you are, or what vegetable you are? Just kidding, but there are lots of great applications you should try!

Angela Draper said...

Thanks for your list. It made me smile :) I have to admit though I still don't really know what Facebook is. I just got an invite from my brother and now lots of people keep asking to be my friend. I guess I should play around with it some.

Brian said...

Make that 398,684 people who like to flip their pillows over to the cold side. Janine has always laughed at me about that one. Not that she's ever lacking for thing to laugh at me about. But I digress. Into conspiracy theory. Did you know that "the man" is monitoring all of your spending and website activities through Facebook? Check out this article from the NYTimes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/technology/30face.html?_r=1&n=Top/News/Business/Companies/Facebook,%20Inc.&oref=slogin

Brian said...

Or go to nytimes.com and search for an article called "Facebook Retreats on Online Tracking" from 20 Nov. 2007.

Corinne said...

I'm totally a fan as well. Fun list!

T said...

I totally agree - with certain people, it's much easier to be friends online than in person. :)

Not you guys, of course.