Thursday, September 11, 2008

Do you like bedtime?

I have never liked bedtime. The sweet ritual of bath, story, prayers, and a goodnight kiss is sooo not the whole story. First of all yelling at kids to "Listen to the scriptures!" as the wiggle and poke each other can get us off to a bad start. Add to that the fact that I NEVER seem to get bedtime started in advance enough to get 4 baths in, so there's guilt that the poor filthy kids have to settle with a quick wipe down of the stickiest parts, mostly hands and faces. Then there's how we have to make sure we get the right toothpaste on the right brushes. Often there's the putting away all the dress-up clothes and accessories so I can walk injury-free in the middle of the night when someone needs me. Then pajamas, but wait, first Beth needs cream for her itchy skin. Then we determine if there's even time for a story. Finally after everyone is tucked in there is the final hugs which require constant reminders of my threat to not give a hug the next night if I get stuck in a neck-hold (? what do I mean?) while hugging them (they love to hold me so tight I can't get back up from leaning over, trying to get the longest hug they can.)

Beth said "I can't see anything. And that's going to make me have nightbears. The bear will be grabbing at me, and roaring at me, and wiggling at me! And I'll be so scared!" Well, it's really fun now that TnT are old enough to get the cute stuff that Beth and Lily say. Tyra just loved that "nightbears" comment of Beth's, she couldn't stop giggling!

So after the lights are out, and I'm sitting by the crib or Lily's bed I do a few yoga spine-lengthening stretches (okay, I try to de-slump for a minute.) I feel relaxed. Then, because there hasn't been any noise or movement for a little while I quietly get up to leave. That's when "I'm hungry" "I want to sleep with Sharky" "I need to go to the bathroom" and especially "I'm really, really, thirsty" seems to crop up. I just love that. Then after I do finally get done with LnE I still have TnT who have been reading during this time, mostly. Now if there is a more likely time for Tyra to get upset about something Thomas does or says it is right at bedtime. And it there is a moment that Thomas is going to mention that he doesn't want to grow up and that he's scared or worried of anything (we won't list the things, as they are a little more personal in nature than "nightbears") it is at this time. Though I like the individual moments with any one of the kids, they are usually interrupting each other (for example Thomas may be read to talk about Heavenly Father while Tyra is howling about her outrage over something he said earlier, and Beth is up for the 3rd time to go to the bathroom and needs a wipe cuz it's #2. Then no one's getting quality time, and no one's really getting much closer to sleep! I still have visions of no cribs or bunk beds or children sleeping on the floor. No just 4 twin beds in 3 or 4 bedrooms. And I go from sitting at the foot of one bed to the next as I hear the joys and sorrows of each child's day, help them settle into sleep and prepare them for the next morning. But when Tom is gone (or when he's home but on the phone or doing his dissertation anyway,) it's just not the way things usually go.
You know, I just love bedtime, don't you?

p.s. I was starting this when Tom was gone, things are looking up a bit now that we're in our school-days routine. And really there is something so sweet about those snuggle kids. I sure do love them!

3 comments:

LisAway said...

Cute little Beth.

The nightly routine! Ha!! I'm much more militant, like how mom was with us. I get SO grouchy if the kids are cutting into "my time." We used to have a fairly lengthy ritual that worked for us, but after a year or two they wanted one more song, or needed ANOTHER drink etc. The second they start in on that they now know that the next night there will be NO drink or song before bed. It's ALWAYS 2 songs and a sip of water. (of course there's a bit of leeway, but we're pretty strict).

I'm a little nervous about Aaron and his future sibling. We'll see how it goes. He's really good about falling asleep on his own and sleeping through the night, but who knows what the terrible twos might bring!

Anne said...

Aaron and his future sibling? What??? Did I miss something???

All I have to say is, I always give Matt his choice of who he'll get dressed or brush teeth for. If matt's not around the routine gets pared down to maybe teeth brushing and a prayer (and that's for 2 kids!)! It's the worst! That's probably why I never get around to getting the boys down until it's too late!

Remember me? I don't even like the nightly ritual for myself! I just avoid it until I finally fall asleep wherever I am! It was actually last night that I decided I don't have to brush my teeth at night if I don't want to! I LOVE it!!!! I think it's my sonicare toothbrushe's fault, though. My teeth can get so gross and with practically no effort, just a little time, they can be sparkling smooth in minutes! Seriously! How bad am I???

Linda said...

Beth's bedtime remarks remind me of the charm of "Where the Wild Things Are"(one of my favorite books)-- or the movie "Monsters, Inc."


"I can't see anything. And that's going to make me have Nightbears. The bear will be grabbing at me, and roaring at me, and wiggling at me! And I'll be so scared!"

Tyra couldn't stop giggling after hearing about Beth's NIGHTBEARS--

Neither can I! : )