Sunday, January 25, 2009

Bit of a Dream Come True

I have always loved to sing. My family made fun of me for singing in the bathroom when I was tiny. My chorus class in Junior High was by far my most memorable class, especially when we had Mr. Honnaker who was as tough as a drill sergeant with us. In High School the stoner girls in the locker room asked me why I was always singing or humming. Even in college, when I visited my Nana and Papa, Nana had to remind me that it is not polite to hum during dinner (I really hadn't noticed.)

Unfortunately I don't have a great or a strong voice, and I really have a terrible ear. But because I love it so much I have tried to be in choirs wherever I can. And one of the things I have always enjoyed was singing around the piano. Then I married Tom. who has a better ear for music and the ability to remember whatever he heard just once. But he never felt like he could sing well and had really never tried. So he felt self-concious at his few efforts to sing parts and generally slid by with the least amount of singing he could get away with. (This is NOT including ditties he makes up himself for the kids, or me, for that matter.) Well, whenever I really get to hear his voice I realize what I am missing by not hearing him sing. So when Tyra started trying to sing songs from the hymnbook with me and then Tom started in, I was very excited. And now we have sung many nights together, hammering out parts as necessary, and tonight saw we three: Tyra singing soprano, me with alto, and Tom on bass singing acapella. If You Could Hie to Kolob, All Creatures of Our God and King, For the Beauty of the Earth, and I Heard the Bells. Not very exciting, I know, but I always dreamed about (okay, maybe not asleep kind of dream, but the forward-imagining kind) singing with my own little family around my piano.

7 comments:

Tom Draper said...

Now I'm sad that we didn't sing with my cousin Mollie over Christmas. Next time we are in NC!

LisAway said...

That's wonderful! I feel just the way you do about singing. I love it and have considered joining a Polish choir, even, as my accent would be lost in the song.

I love the thought of you three singing together with separate parts. Awesome!

Emily said...

That is so sweet. Some of my favorite memories from growing up are singing harmony around the piano. And you're right, it is nice to have a husband who shares that love with you. KC and I love to sing together too. We'd love to hear you, or join in one of these days!

Linda said...

What a sweet warm picture of the three of you singing together, that is one of the best kinds of "dreams come true".

Angela Draper said...

You guys are so sweet! I hope I get to hear you all sing together sometime.

holly b said...

I love this. it's these little things that are so what it's all about. I'm hankering after the same thing some day...

Marbell Payne said...

If this news goes any further, you three are going to be singing in sacrament meeting soon.

Yay!! I'm back up and connected to your blogg. Mine is still blank, I guess it just isn't in my top ten right now. It should be. Someday. I TOTALLY remember you humming and singing in high school. I always loved it.