Monday, November 17, 2008

Mechanical Girl

We have a way of noticing when people do something for a while with energy. I can NOT think of a word to say that, but here's what I mean: If a child seems to eat a lot more on a particular day or at a particular meal we say "You're an eating machine!" or if someone is dancing and dancing and dancing we'll say "You're a dancing machine!" or they power through 500 pages of a thick book and they are called a "reading machine."

Lily received a Build-A-Bear kit for her birthday 2 months ago which we have brought out whenever Tyra and I get out our knitting for her to work by us. It's tricky and Mom is not adept at tying knots and helping tiny fingers with a plastic needle sewing the front and back of the bear's fur together. Lily usually can handle it for around 10 minutes before needing a break for the day. But today she was clingy and needed to be on my lap and instead of reading stories I decided to see if we couldn't finish sewing up that bear. She stayed with it through well over 30 minutes. Tyra came by checking up on Lil's progress every now and then and finally towards the end she exclaimed "Wow, Lily! You're a sewing machine!"

4 comments:

LisAway said...

This is so funny, Su! Love it. (and love that you guys have posted on your blog for like three days in a row or something

Anne said...

I agree with Lisa about your posts. it's almost like you guys are alive!

I wish I had a human sewing machine in my house!

holly b said...

hah ha, that is way cute.

Amber said...

Cute! :) Kids can sure say some really funny stuff sometimes. I've tried to keep a "journal" of my kids funny sayings so that I can remember them and laugh years down the road when they are grown and gone. Then their kids can laugh at their dads' funny things they said when they were little.