Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Achievement Days Girls Camp

Boy, this IS just like my old jourmals. I always get stopped when I need to write about a big event and don't have the "umph" for it. (It was usually a Christmas or other holiday) Then when I get the urge to write I sit down and realize that big event is not what I want to write about so I don't write anything. Silly, I know, but I have MANY journal entries that finally write the event in a nutshell or apologize (to whom? my future self reading? Like anyone reading could care!) So I loved Utah, have much to write and wonderful pictures to sort through and post, but not yet...

Tyra went to her Achievement Days camp last Wed, Thurs., Fri. She really seemed to enjoy herself. When she was trying to tell me about it Wed afternoon she said "It's like school and church and girl scouts all together!" Sister Beasy Sanders was the stake leader in charge and did a great job. I had worked with Beasy when I first moved into this ward 9 years ago in our ward's Ach. Days. Elizabeth is still in the crib that she lent me when Tyra was born. She's the one who threw Tyra's baby shower when we were so new in the ward. Now I'll let Tyra write a bit about it before I tell you how well she did in the program Fri evening after our potluck dinner:

We made a group name (CTR Superstars),motto (We work for what is good.), and cheer (C-T-R-Su-per-stars! Go - team!) We also made a flag. I made different things (journal, babysitters guide, and a prayer pillow) I wish it had lasted longer - it was only three days!


The skit they did for us was about the destruction of the newspaper office in Missouri when the two Rollins sisters saved the pages from the Book of Commandments then hid in a cornfield. Then when they all read what they thought they would be doing in the future Tyra said "I would be at BYU studying to be a scientist, maybe ocean scientist. Hopefully I can help the world. My mom is nuts that I'm grown up." Or something like that, it was longer.

It was just nice to have her rub shoulders with other Daughters of Faith in the area. I got the number of someone she'd like to have a playdate with. She had so much fun in Utah with the short contact she had with girls her age. She had Tom's cousin's daughter sleepover one night. And she was already friends with one of the neighbor girls by the time she saw her in primary.

3 comments:

holly said...

It was a neat program, I'm glad that our stake does it since we tend to have fewer active youth than the average stake it seems (whatever that is!!).

I'm very glad that you made it back in time for Tyra to participate! :)

holly said...

I also wanted to add that I totally hear you on the 1st paragraph re journal writing. That is so me. So far the blog format makes me feel more "free" to write about anything from kids sayings to big events. I don't feel comfortable sharing all my very personal angsts and woes, etc. in this format though. Whereas in my "real" journal I feel that same need to apologize to whoever my future reader is (most likely me!) for my lack of consistency. Anyway, sorry to ramble on but just wanted to add these thoughts too!! : )

Corinne said...

What a great idea! I wonder if our stake does something like that. It's SO GOOD for the girls to be with other members their age for some good spiritual experiences. Awesome!