Friday, May 30, 2008

Here we go round the mulberry bush

So, 10 years of living here and I'm finally eating the fruit off my trees! I guess because early on when our neighbor was walking through our backyard showing us poison ivy and other things she pointed to a tree and said "oh, those are terrible, they're so hard to kill and they make a mess." So I never paid them much attention until Tyra came home from her field trip (they walked over to Greenbelt National Park) where a ranger had them eat mulberries off the trees. As she was describing them I said hey! I've been looking at these berries every time I'm on the treadmill, come see if those are they. She said they were. I was still scared to eat them though, it's just not worth getting poisoned, if there's a look-alike or something. Luckily at baseball the same day (yesterday) Tyra was telling me she saw a mulberry tree and just as I was saying, are you sure? look at the leaves, are they the same, don't just look at the fruit, all worried to let her just start eating them one of the dads on the bleachers reached up and picked a handful and popped them in his mouth. Unfortunately I couldn't encourage my girls to pick them still because they were in dresses ready to take off to a baptism. Beth's jumper was ruined with the juices (well, we'll see what oxiclean can do.) Anyway, then today I finally started eating them at the playground when a mother said "I used to eat them all the time when I was little." I was surprised at how good they were. I have spent a pretty penny to get raspberries and blackberries at the store, and these were just as tasty IMO. They aren't sour, just sweet and good. So now I'm wondering, what other free-growing things are there out there I should be eating? I remember working with a girl from Idaho who said she used to sit in the back of her dad's truck and jump out to cut wild asparagus growing on the side of the road for their dinner. All I remember as a kid eating from wild plants were the desert weeds that grew in the cracks of the sidewalk and road and the little "fruits" were tiny round green things we called cheesies. Anyone know what those were? Anyone know of any other yummy wild things to look out for? And don't say mushrooms, I'd never dare try, though we get those often too!

How did we live without the internet? I've already found mulberry recipes, and satisfied myself that though there are many mulberry hybrids, there are no poisonous look-alikes. ALSO: here's a link to the cheesies I was talking about.
Posted by Picasa


5 comments:

LisAway said...

CHEESIES!! Oh, those were so delicious. Are they poisonous? If they are it would explain a lot about the Lee family. I'm so happy to know why they were called cheeses. When we were little I don't think I had any concept of a round cheese.
I don't think I love mulberries. Aren't the clusters much closer together and dense (I' mean in each berry)? The kids eat them, but ours are nearly black (some by Greg's work). I think that's what they are. Cool. You'll have to let us know if you find a good recipe to use them in! Hooray for free, natural vitamins!

Angela Draper said...

I think we were picking mulberries off the trees at Capitol Reef park last summer. Yum! Enjoy your free fruit! Other than what we had planted in our garden, I remember sucking the juice out of the end of honeysuckles. I haven't tried that in forever :)

Karen E. said...

I have to admit, I had no idea what a mulberry looked like, and now I know! They look quite tasty.

Anne said...

Those mullberries look BEAUTFUL!!! And delicious! How in the world did you find "cheesies" on the internet? That's awesome. I thought WE made that name up?

holly b said...

that is fun. we used to eat miner's lettuce, dandelions and chamomile weeds growing up. Mulberries and boysenberries both make great syrups. (what fruit doesn't??)