Wednesday, May 14, 2008

International Night





I keep wanting to blog about the things Thomas does that surprise and impress me. But as I started thinking about this blog I realized that sometime I need to take the time to talk about the things Thomas does that don't surprise, though they still impress, me. Things like how quick he is to show his dimples in a smile. How much he loves a joke. How he immediately helps someone he sees in need. How reliable he is in completing any task he's given. And how very sweetly he plays with and helps his little sisters. So there's a bit of it. But as we know, any of these things (the smile, the help, the completing a task) are held in check until one very important matter is cleared up for him: WHAT EXACTLY HE SHOULD DO. It is very difficult for him to just figure out by watching others or by "faking it" for the first little while until he gets the hang of something.

So tonight was International Night where Ms. Anwar's 2nd grade class sang a long song in Bangladeshi. I had heard from Thomas and Ms. Anwar a couple of times how he wasn't practicing the song with the rest of the class. When I noticed the words at home I tried to find the music online to practice with him, to no avail. But when I finally told him he had to sing through the whole song for me, even if he made mistakes, before he could play on his computer he finally did it for me. After that he began practicing with the kids. Ms. Anwar, who has been so VERY good for Thomas, never told him he had to sing but gave him a maraca to play to still be part of the group. Apparently other kids wanted to try to and it shaped the whole song, but Tyra was proud of Thomas because he got to do the final 3 drum beats at the end. So, why was I so proud of Thomas? Well, he was up in front of a huge audience staying very focused in a boiling, noisy room, doing his best. He even sang a little.

If I ever figure out what to do with the 115meg video clip I'll add it!

6 comments:

Anne said...

Yay! Thank you Su! I'm so proud of Thomas too! He's going to seem so big when you come out this summer!

Angela Draper said...

Way to go Thomas! We can't wait to see you in just a couple of days!

LisAway said...

Hey, Angela, I was going to say that! I still will: Way to go Thomas! I sure love that boy. He's also very good and patient at teaching things. I'm so glad to see how well he is doing.

gramalee said...

Right on Su! When he was 3 or 4 I was often reminded of "Charles" in Salinger's "For Esme with Love and Squalor" with the big eyes ("they're orange!" Charles counters to the condescending question)and the love of released tension in delivering a punch line. I remember the compassion Thomas showed that poor skinny basketless Easter Bunny when he offered the pathetic Rabbit his basket containing the eggs he had found himself. Amen to your words Su! xo!

Anonymous said...

Thomas is amazing. We love him lots and lots, and it is so fun to see the things he is involved in. Thanks for sharing!

holly b said...

good for him! amazing what a little motivation will do. :) I miss all the multi-cultural-ism back there. very vanilla out here.