Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Can Sand+Water Make Up for No Beach?



Lily has been whining for me to take her to the beach for a couple of months now. Well, maybe for about 9 months, about how long we've been home from La Jolla, California. Usually when we had snow she'd ask. But also whenever she was hot. Or pretty much whenever she remembered. So she's already had out the old wading pool, long before I would say it's hot enough. And the kids were having fun in the sandbox a few days ago digging a hole to the bottom and then burying each other. The picture is when Lil had just jumped out of it and they were starting in on Ellie Lambert. I sure hope Sandy Point Beach on the Chesapeake Bay is not full of jellyfish like the last few times I've gone, because at 30-40 minutes away, it's the closest thing we have to a beach. But who knows, maybe with our new (to us) minivan and staying home most of the summer we'll venture out to the atlantic 2-4 hours away more!? It's a definite possibility with Thomas' on board with the idea. He was spotlighted in primary this week and for the question "Where is your favorite place to go?" Tom and I first wrote down "home" because he usually balks at ANY type of outing and screeches that he doesn't want to go. But when I asked him how he would answer he quickly said "The beach! So I can dig big holes and fill them up with water" We all know how therapeutic the beach can be and I could go on and on about it, but instead I'll make a list for myself without beating out the complete thoughts.
WHY WE LOVE THE BEACH;
earth, wind, fire, and water
deep pressure touch (getting buried in sand, pushing and pulling it around)
to create something from nothing (a swimming pool for your sisters, a castle, etc)
to work and sweat (against the sand, against the waves)
to relax and meditate (a little harder when your watching 4 kids all over the place, but still possible from a sitting position for short bits of time!)
to "commune with nature"
to be with family and friends with nothing else to do, no way to get much else done. Close to camping in this regard
--as with most my posts I will not edit or really finish because someone's pulling me off and I just give up, but I know there was more...

6 comments:

Corinne said...

hey - invite us when you go to sandy point!!

holly said...

I hear you.... and we're game for Sandy Point,too, whenever you are!! I think we should try to get a group together before all the weekend spots fill up at Assateague. It would be so much fun!!

Anonymous said...

As a kid, I spent countless hours in a sandbox, and I remember how much I loved it. But you're right, Su, there is nothing like the beach. When you come for the family campout in August, let's take an extra day and spend it on the beach at San Clemente :-) Last weekend Isaac, Seth and I enjoyed it immensely. All the girls on the beach thought the boys were sooo cute, but I had to warn them not to get too close to Seth. His big thing was throwing sand. I'm pretty sure he would have kept throwing it until he had thrown every grain on the entire beach. Then we took them home all full of sand and Anne had to clean them up. Ah, the joy of grandparenting!

Angela Draper said...

We love the beach too! Especially Ellie. We went twice last weekend and Ellie had a blast even though the water was cooler than it usually is this time of year. We have to remember to take advantage of having beaches less than 10 minutes away while we still can! Ellie loves those pictures of her sweet cousins. They sure are adorable!

Marbell Payne said...

AHHH!! I can hear the beach calling me now. I totally love it too! I'm with you on everything you wrote. My favorite thing about the beach right now is that Steven still does not like sand..so he doesn't run off at all...and that is so great for us.(you know how he loves to take off) He just spends his time from blanket to chair to standing and taking a few slow steps on the sand. Once he warms up he still is hesitant and stays close...I'm enjoying it for now. I have a lot of beach memories from high school with you in them!
Marbs

The Gerharts said...

I'd add boogie boarding to the list. I forgot how big your sandbox is, Sue! How fun that the kids can bury each other.

We'd be up for a day trip to one of the Virginia beaches if you guys ever want to go!