Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Yoga Kids (or Anything Dad Can Do We Can Do Better)

Tyra in bound full lotus
the kids think it's fun to "levitate" in lotus
Tom can stay like this for quite a while!
the "if you can only do one pose it should be..." downward dog
and cobra, it's a nice stretch
Tom has had an interest in yoga since before we were married. We checked out a book of basic poses to do while still in Utah. Then he encouraged me to take a class here in Berwyn Heights. We've followed an instructional video and learned things from his mom and sister Janine. But for the last few years Tom has really become more serious about it thanks to his co-worker, friend, and instructor, Suneel. Suneel is a devoted yogi, he even goes back to India to be instructed by the most famous Iyengar yearly. And he's vegetarian. (Tom keeps hoping we'll go vegetarian, but not all recipes translate well into tofu, and sometimes I need to make my fall-back recipes. I am, however getting more and more vegetarian meals into my fall-back repertoire. Please send me any you have that deserve "fall-back" recipe status!) Well, as any of you with kids already know, whatever dad does is cool be it math or be it yoga (maybe for your kids it's baseball and physics, you know what I mean though...) So here they are enjoying quality Dad time. It's a nice bonus that they can do tricks (like Tyra in her bound full lotus pose) that even Dad can't do! I'll have to add it later, but Elizabeth is absolutely darling doing her downward dog pose!

6 comments:

Corinne said...

How fun! I know absolutely nothing about yoga, except that the one time we did it when I was a YW leader, I fell asleep doing it :) Relaxing though!

holly said...

What fun... I had no idea Tom was so into yoga and vegetarianism. I like the idea of yoga but I'm so not flexible. I should give it a try some time.... These are fabulous pictures!

Marlo said...

This is news to me, too. It's great that they can do it together. Su, do you join in? I've tried yoga a little and really enjoyed it. I'd like to learn/do more. Maybe Tom can teach me a few things? It will take lots of work, though--I'm not all bendy like Tyra is!

Angela Draper said...

What cute kids! I love all their yoga poses. Ellie is at the age where she just climbs on me every time I try to do yoga. It makes my yoga very interesting...

twd said...

Wow! Let's see, if the family that prays together stays together what can we say about the family that levitates together?

First attempt:
The family that levitates together... (What rhymes with levitate?)
Gravitates?
Salivates?
Lifts weights?
Goes on dates?
....

Second attempt:
The family that flies together
Grows wise together (that works, except "flies" is too general and rhymes with too many other things, like "sighs" or "eats fries".

Third attempts:
The family that does yoga...
(Nah, what rhymes with yoga besides toga?)

The family that "yogafies"...
(Nah, Thomas would tell me that "yogafies" is not a word.)

The family that "yoga-flies"...
(That has possibilities, but not new ones: wise, sighs, fries)

A family of yogies...
(What rhymes besides "bogies"?)

Fourth attempts:
The family that are vegetarians...
(Oh for pity sake, what rhymes with vegetarians?)

A family that vegetates...
(No, that sounds too much like people who watch TV.)

A family of vegans...
(Beam me up Scotty!)

Fifth attempts
The family that flexes....
writes lots of "checkses"
(Nope, Thomas would correct me again on that word"

Oh, what the "heckes"...

Love, Dadt

Amber said...

Wow! I had no idea Tom was THAT into yoga. I enjoy it, but I don't imagine myself ever being strong enough to do a head stand without a wall behind me. That's impressive!