Sunday, July 15, 2007

Old Maryland Farm






I have had such a hard time getting out to do something with my 3 girls this summer. Between Playgroup, doctor's appointments, visiting teaching, and babysitting I've hardly had a day with a free morning. So I decided Thursday we were going somewhere, no matter what. Thursday morning did not start off well at all, but luckily Jo called early and said she was going to the farm with us, and suddenly I couldn't back out, even though I was ready to. It ended up being great weather, amazingly. I'd been all ready for the heat of the previous days. Elizabeth, at age 2yrs 3 months, has never been to a farm as a spectator (she was a little lump the only other time she's been) so it was fun. The kids enjoyed looking at all the animals. Then we let them ride the carousel and then the little train. They really enjoyed it all. We ended with a picnic and playing at the big playground (a truly nerve-wracking place for a parent with 3 children in 3 different places at all times!)

I'll post pictures later, but the greatest thing about it for me was the amazing thing which was: no whining kids. I am just accustomed to having every getting-out-the-door experience being the usual rush of packing the bags, the snacks or lunch, getting the kids dressed, finding hats, putting on sunscreen, filling water bottles....PLUS needing to say the enTIRE time: "Yes you have to go with us...No, I can't leave you here...It will be fun...We'll only be there a few hours...I'm sorry but you DO have to come....It will be okay..." To a certain young man who keeps saying the ENtire time "Do I HAVE to come? I'm NOT going!! It's BORING at the _____! I'm staying HOME! I want to play on my computer! I'm staying HERE!" etc. Not to mention the same conversation filling up most of the time while we are at whatever the activity is.
Aaaahhhh, THAT'S what I was looking forward to this summer. But I will say, I sure miss my boy, and I don't think I could be without him again for another summer!

2 comments:

holly said...

Sounds like a fun outing. Way to go in sticking to the plan. I totally hear you on all the little details popping up!!

Marlo said...

With all those kids, everything you do is, at best, a "production". Let's not talk about what it is at worst. It's amazing how worthwhile it all seems--after it's over and you've recuperated!

BTW, what cute kids!