Sunday, July 01, 2007

Thomas' Turns 7




First thing when I woke up Thomas asked me to play 2 games of chess at once with him. Sort of like Bughouse only without partners. I ended up winning, but only because Thomas kept forgetting to put his pieces back on the board (only in Bughouse.) Then we made some Belgian waffles. Then Thomas was allowed to play around while Tyra helped us get ready. Tom spent a fun 3 hours at Home Depot while they looked for the kitchen cabinet that they had called twice this week to tell us it was in. They couldn't find it. Lucky for me he had Lily and Tyra with him, so I just kept going on the cake and stuff. Thomas chose everything about the party. He had Ellie Lambert and Dorian come and they played a long game of Trouble. Then KC and Emily came (with Emily's 2 nephews they were babysitting) with their ice cream maker and we made mint chocolate chip ice cream. It was great except for one thing. We used the peppermint oil LindaMom had given me in the place of peppermint extract. I'd been worried it wouldn't be enough as we only had about 1/2 what it called for, but boy was it EVer enough! I should have called LindaMom first to check it out, but things were so hectic at that point as everyone was here already, we just went ahead and added all we had...let's just say, that much mint oil can really wake you up and clear out your sinuses! It was still yummy, especially alongside the "Best Recipe" chocolate layer cake.
After outside play while we made the ice cream where Thomas played with his huge new frisbee and a huge soccer ball and hated the parachute we got from Costco....anyway, we went in and played K'Nex the rest of the time with Tom and Jerry playing in the background. All Thomas' favorite things. No organized party games for him!

I'm so happy that Thomas is doing so well lately. He has really matured a lot. He is really fun to be around. I always wonder how much is due to him just learning the skills he needs to cope and handle himself, how much he's just growing up, and how much is the training in first grade and all the extra helps he received from the special education department, and how much was parenting, etc. Well, it's nice to see him not get into panic mode nearly so often these days.

Well, I'm off to join the last half of Yoga With Dad.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

GREAT cake! And what a fun party. I'm so glad he had a great day...funny to see Ethan and Jeffy in those pics too!

holly said...

I thought I recognized those two boys... Sounds like he had a great day of it! : )