Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tyra's Swimming Lessons





For years now, whenever we sit down and discuss personal goals, or talents, or such things, Tyra has always said she wants to learn how to swim. Last summer in La Jolla, CA Tom started teaching Tyra in our pool, and Grandpa Lee taught her in his pool. But she still needed and wanted lessons. So this year I marked my planner for the morning the county parks and rec opened registration for their summer classes. So far, time and again I'd get around to trying in the first week or two and all the classes would be full, and being on all the waiting lists resulted in no phone call saying we were in. So I set my alarm and signed her up. Well, Tyra amazed me. She was so confident and did everything she was supposed to. When it was time for their first jump off the diving board I just prayed and yet still expected to see her inch toward the edge of the board then either refuse, or at least look terrified as she jumped. Well, she just walked, almost running, right of the edge!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How BRAVE!! I wish Ev could take lessons with her! She's even a little nervous for her baptism!

Karen E. said...

Good job Tyra! I was about her age when I learned to swim, but it took a lot longer before I was brave enough to jump off the diving board!

holly said...

Good for her! Great pics. Love the pink goggles. : )

Linda said...

Wow Tyra, you are my little mermaid! I still love to swim, and have loved it ever since I was six. Water is a magical place to be. Grandma Norma said I jumped right in almost from the beginning and was a little fish! So now cousin Ellie, who loves fishies can just point at your picture when she says one of her favorite words!
Love to my aquafriend,
Grandma Linda