Sunday, September 23, 2007

Out of the Frying Pan...

I have enjoyed so much working with the sisters in our ward through Enrichment. I think I've complained way more than anything else, but that's pretty much normal for me. It wasn't easy, and I can't say I'll be sad to be released, but that doesn't mean I won't keep with me some good memories and more still, closer relationships because of serving with the sisters. I got to go out on a "high note"--being an alto that's not necessarily a good thing-- by being in charge of a Saturday morning quarterly enrichment meeting with luncheon. Sally did way more than she was supposed to, having had her 3rd baby during the last month of preparation time. But after calling quite a few sisters to help with the luncheon to no avail, I was sure glad that she was up for more work than she should have been doing. After running around like crazy (trying to get Thomas to his first soccer game, along with everything else required to run a big activity) I felt a sense of relief: Ah, now the quarterly activity days will be put on for just the primary kids, no luncheons required, no adults "watching", scheduling up to me, etc.

And into the fire...
The only part of being Primary President that I really feel anxious about is being in charge of the Primary Sacrament Meeting Program. Which happens to be coming soon, to a day not scheduled by me. With lots of adults (more than at enrichment!) watching. Luckily Sister Baun did get together with her counselors and song leader and write up an outline months ago. But at this point it is only that, a VERY rough outline. I may take the suggestion to copy one that's been posted on the internet, if I can find one that fits our very small primary.

Anyway, I'm excited for what I believe this calling will mean to our family, especially the children and myself. I have kept one of Holly's counselors, Rebekah Barnes, who used to be one of my Achievement Days girls 9 years ago when I moved into the ward. She's great, enthusiatic, on time, reliable, great with the kids. My other counselor is yet to be determined. I was told that everyone I asked for were spoken for by other organizations. We'll see, it might just be the two of us for a while, good thing it's such a small primary!

6 comments:

Angela Draper said...

Congrats on the new calling! I love being in Primary although I do have to say it has been more work than I expected. That is probably due to the 20 families we had move in over the summer and the fact that our branch presidency was gone all summer so no callings could be filled. But if you haven't heard of it already, check out www.sugardoodle.net. It has great resources and I always go to them for sharing time ideas. I am actually in charge of the quarterly activity this Saturday and am excited, but will be glad when it's over. Ok so I should have just emailed you. This is so long! I'll just end by wishing you the best of luck :)

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Su!! You're perfect for the job and I'm sure it's a welcome change of pace etc.

Corinne said...

You will be SO PERFECT Susan. Perfect. I am happy for you - when they released me from enrichment leader they made me enrichment COUNSELOR. Man, let's get some MORE enrichment!!

Karen E. said...

The only calling that I would be more afraid of than primary would be the young women (and luckily my branch has neither). But you have always been good with working with kids so I'm sure you'll be fine. It just seems like you are so much more patient than I am :) Good luck!

Jon and Christine Knecht said...

After all the things Janine tells me about you and the wonderful things that you do, I have a hard time picturing you being nervous about this calling! I think you will be amazing. The Lord obviously thinks you are perfect for the job ;) ;)

Anonymous said...

HI Su...you'll do a grand job! I just know you! Something I have enjoyed about my different callings is looking back at them when I am released and seeing the immense growth that took place. That's what it is all about...growth, learning, service and feeling a bit overwhelmed at times and seeing that you were able to accomplish the given task. Lucky for those primary kids to have you!